RSS Feed

Category: Daily Diaries

  1. Chewie has left us :( 05/06/19 6.03pm. Saying Goodbye was never going to be easy.. but somehow it was.

    Posted on

    I'm not sure when I last wrote a blog post on here, so I'm sorry if things are a bit hit and miss with what makes sense... 

    The cat cabin has been increasingly quiet the past two months since Pumpkin died and followed Beany to rainbow bridge... but Chewie just couldn't fully settle or feel happy when we struggled longer and longer to find new fur-family members for her... It may sound silly or insane to anyone who isn't at one with nature and speaks to their fur-clad family...... but Chewie really was like one of us... it's been her, Johnny and me for over a decade bringing new scared and hurting special needs cats into our cabin, our hearts and our entire lives revolving around their care...... At every step Chewchie has helped us make decisions, comforted us, told us off when we are being dumb/blind/silly and pointed us towards things that NEEDED to be done even in cases where the WHY wasn't even a thought in anyones minds for some time to come and suddenly "!HEY! - this is weird, it wouldn't have been possible if we hadn't already sorted that thing out months back.... "

    I'm trying really hard to pointedly stay on track with this blog post but I'm kind of lost in over 11 years of memories right now. Only 4 hours ago at 2pm we were out in the garden preparing her eternal sleeping place and laying her to rest (alongside Pumpkin, Beany, Wolfie and one of my brothers cats from years passed) and we were both overwhelmed with "funnies" that Chewie would have said like "ouch - dad thats my headdddd" as a bit of dirt rolled into the hole quicker than meant... (that way like you could always know what Gromit was trying to say to Wallace despite his character having ZERO lines.... lol) and we both just had an oddly calm feeling like she was talking to us even as we covered her.... guiding us where to lay her flowers and even blackbirds clamly hopped up beside us (literally... 20cm away) to peer into the dirt for tasty wormies etc). It was ironically the best afternoon we've spent in the front garden... as if it were her way of saying "I can't celebrate my birthday with you in the cabin so you can spend it with me out here".. It was only as we got up and realised we'd finished... that we both suddenlybecame glum again - and I silently muttered "how do we leave you out here ... and just go back indoors?" ((thank god John didn't hear it...)) **sighs sorrowfully**

    She died incredibly peacefully in my the cabin yesterday by the way. She had been wrapped in her favourite blanket despite the warm weather yesterday and staring up at me (held like a baby). She tried her absolute hardest to hold on until her 16th birthday and she missed it by just 6 hours :(. A promise was made that we would be brave for her as she'd been brave for so many years. Johnny fell asleep for a little while, as did Eggy while me and Chewie talked (she at one point looked at though she had drifted off but was still breathing then I noticed that she was using her eye to communicate, twitch for yes, pupil dilate, scrunchy face for comforting finger brush across my face please mamma.... we stayed like it for over two hours and she kept putting her paws to my face / cheek / neck to wipe my tears. At one point I couldn't stop crying and I remember thinking "oh god I'm going to panic her if I don't stop it" but I just couldn't - then as I had my eyes closed something soft brushed my chin and my lips - she'd used her energy to shuffle her shoulders upwards (like rolling over in bed you use your elbows etc to move) and pushed herself up to face me... we stared at eachother, I kind of snotty-laughed in her face and she did her little eye twinkle scrunchy face..... then laid down and again we talked for a few minutes. 
    Around 5.54 Johnny woke up, I can't tell whether he woke up and then she saw him - or she woke him up TO see him...... but the rains suddenly pattered down gently on the cabin roof, I shallowed-breathed and gasped thinking in half awe and half disbelief that "no it couldn't possibly really happen? Could it..?".
    [*A notion of "I've until the rain ends"... one of Chewie's favourite Dr Who episodes where Billy Shipton dies - the thought had suddenly popped into my head while talking to Chewie the day before when it had rained and I'd stared at her, giggled and said "not today my fruit"... it wasn't that day. But it did happen!]
    As soon as the rains began it was like she was going in to a pre-rehersed action. Positioning herself up on her elbow leaning completely into my chest like a baby, tucking her tail and hind legs in to "ready herself"... she even began using training calm breathing techniques we'd used over the years with Eggy - she looked dreamily around the cabin as if she were taking memory snapshots to share with the others when she got to rainbow bridge.. Then the rains slowed but hadn't quite stopped - she took a few shallow breaths, motioned for Daddy (Johnny) to lean in so she could see his face... her tongue curled a little as her breathing got shorter.. She clasped my hand, Johnny flopped against my side and rubbed her fur gently then a few moments later she calmly turned her head, looked up at me again and took one last long breath in - out... she did "the running" [** all the babies that have passed naturally here do a kind of struggle canter - it's best described as them seeing everyone they've been waiting to reconnect with suddenly appear before them the opposite end of a field and they eagerly canter to be nose-rubbed, kissed, hugged and greeted by those who've gone before....]

    Moments after that I'd said to Johnny - I think she... she's gone... (in between sobs I was trying to control for Chewies sake as well as Johnny and poor Eggy who'd been sat beside us the entire afternoon) but then I could feel her heart still ever so slowly beating and I rocked her gently back and forth in her blanket... she breathed a couple of tiny gurgling out-breaths and her head drooped towards me. The slight disbelief of "was that her fur moving" etc kicked in for a few moments but she'd gone. It wasn't until a few moments later we realised that we'd both noticed the rains had stopped. We'd each looked at the clock at 6.03 when Chewie stopped breathing. And each had noted that the rain stopped at that time...... My heart hurts.. I think I need to stop here for now :(

    Please don't forget to share, donate or shop as we still have Eggy to care for even if stupid local rescues and groups think "We aren't suitable" for offering a home to cats?!! ((Don't get me started on that)).

    We have a Patreon account now for the cats - it was supposed to help Beany, Pum, Chewie and Eggy but.. nobody signed up .. and now we have to have a long long think about the cause :'(.

  2. 28th Oct Update 2014

    Posted on

    Hello guys, sorry to of been quiet for so long but what with the new 3 day a week stall and having to make things to sell - THEN ontop of that spending time with the cats, safe to say i've been a biiiiit busy :). The cats are all fine at the moment generally. Eddy had a little slip and whilst washing himself managed to pull a bit too much fur out on his leg which made a tiny nick but blood went everywhere and i panicked thinking he'd been passing blood. He hadnt. (i checked!). Beany [Stitch] is currently in the TCEK house [this is what i call the main first house] and his home is being rented out to Eddy, of which he is less than pleased :). Chewie is being oddly affectionate a lot of the time now which i love because i've missed my fruiticus but also im wondering whats happened to make her so.... cutesy now. Wolfie is starting to sneeze just a little now because of the temperature changes and also he is getting very impatient at food times and insists on trying to stand on my shoulders and head to "make me go faster". Pumpy is taking a while to eat certain meals (Would say being picky but its not really that as such, she just feels bloaty after certain things). Other than his leg Eddy is having a blast usually with one of our Catnip Meesers (Handmade By Furwebs) but this past week he hasnt wanted to play much and just sleeps or washes. Ohhh And Chewies hair is almost full "PUFF" mode thanks to Eddy continuously washing her, to which she pulls the oddest faces and occassionally has to be rescued.And for some reason, even before Beany was put in the TCEK house [only since yesterday afternoon but you'd think I had forced him to walk a tight-rope for 2 weeks without rest - the way he yowls at me for hugs when I go back out], he seems oddly attached to me again, I realise this is partly his Separation Anxiety but he stares into my eyes from across the room, dives me for hugs and kisses, licks every uncovered part of my skin on my arms or legs and goes generally nuts and droolsome. For the last two nights he has had proper "uppy hugs" only to lean me backwards onto the sofa by force and curl up on my chest which he never does usually. He is more a "flop beside and snooze" kind of baby usually. This morning John mistook the hissy outbursts as aggression when he tried to take him off of me, but I explained this was him begging to stay with me and begging me not to leave again (chokes me up sometimes when he shakes and clings on so tightly and the crying noise he makes),so there's me,struggling to climb up with him on my chest and put him in the house and he tries to hold my hand with his paw spread out and lets out this low moan that sounds for all the world to me like "maaahmaa nauuuh" [mumma no]. And i close the door, apologise for ages and say I will be back in a few hours... *sniffles*.

  3. Two new additions to The Craft-E-Kittens

    Posted on

    On Saturday 12th July we marked a special anniversary by adding two new furbabies to our clan!

    Harry and Edward from Leighton Buzzard joined our family.

    This date marked the fifth anniversary since the passing of our sister / sister in law who was as animal mad as we are, By chance it happened to be the day we settled on for meeting to collect them from their old "staff".We then also by chance came to alter their names a little due to their personalities.

    Edward - unless being naughty, is now known as Ed,Edd or Eddy(!) as this fits his personality and also was the name of one of Tracys favourite cartoon shows.

    Harry - who did not seem to like being called by that name, and was quite an "experiment" as he was a challenge to get settled in with the babies, was changed to Stitch and responds to the name beautifully. He is a little terror when he wants to be a but a cute (large) ball of fluffiness when he wants to be too! But only seems to be with mummy (Kitty).

    Eddy moved almost straight in with the other three residents (Chewie, Wolfie and Pumpkin) in the big house of the cabin, but Stitch is still a little nervous of close contact with these "strange furry beasties" so he has spent his nights in his own house in the cabin which seems to suit him just fine.

    They all five get along surprisingly well given that the two boys have only been here since last saturday. They all come out and spend the majority of the day roaming about the cabin and playing / finding sneaky spots to hide in thinking they can avoid detection and not get caught sneaking into the food cupboard when it opens(!)

    Many photographs have been taken - and I have to restrain myself from taking and uploading millions of the same thing as they are just so cute together!

    - Thank you for reading this "short(?!)" update -

    Pictures can be found on the facebook page!

  4. March 4th 2014 PM

    Posted on

    update on woolpix (Wolfie) , he has an upset tummy again so keeping an eye on him. Chewie seems to have issue with back legs and is walking sort of hunkered down but is not in pain when checked over - Assuming pumpkin is her usual self , very "yappy" but not wanting hugs . Chew and Wool both had shampoos and brushings tonight (And wool actually purred and came back for more!!!)Xxx

  5. Poorly babies 1st March 2014

    Posted on

    Poorly babies tonight - John did the litterboxes and sprayed the floors as they had "accidents" outside the box and up over the edge of them. Thinking it was mostly woolberton (Wolfie) as he was very yappy and headbutty tonight as well as REALLY talkative. I find it funny that he mimicks chewies voice when ill , He never talked before - not even a squeak , but now when hes poorly he sounds like chewie or scarily , like Socky (xxxxxxxxx miss you millions pupplyxxxxx) A little blood in the mix tonight , keeping an extra close eye on them the next couple days again.

    I think Wolfie was hinting for Double (W) again tonight but after finding this on the floor we didnt think that was a good idea so they each had their D's and hugs then to bed . We had to run the heater for the time we were out there , first in a while , as it seemed quite cold.

  6. Thurs 20th Feb AM

    Posted on

    Just back in from the cabin. After having a horrible dream when I fell back to sleep this morning I was quite shook up and didn't know what to expect when I got out there.I was half expecting the cats to be gone and the cabin to be empty! Luckily the cats were okay and all were bouncing as about like loons.Pumpkin and Wolfie kept sniffing about and playing chase by the sofa. Chewie kept sniffing me and wanting tickles , kisses and strokes then running off to play. After they all insisted on having foods and meds we let Wolfie out to stop him from eating the girls food and he sat on the sofa by me having a climby hug.

    He panicked when John sat beside us and started scrabbling about to climb and run so I stood up thinking he would jump down but he didn't, just settled for a hug instead!?

    After tickles and chin strokes he decided to give ME a licky wash on my right side of my face then hopped into his bed. By now Pumpkin had finished her food and gone back to bed, Chewie cried so I called her up for a hug and she went floppy and stretched out on my arms like a baby :-) . After a long hug we put her in as it was getting late and she kept having a burpy tummy. As it is a little warmer today than I has been we left the thick cover off and just pulled the lighter ones down to keep them warm until tonight. Pum doesn't do hugs unless there are treats involved so she was content in her bed :-)      

  7. Update 18/02/2014

    Posted on

    whoops , havent updated this for DAYS - sorry.. We have been keeping an eye on the mouldy stuff in the inner house of the cabin. It isnt spreading but has reappeared in the same place once more since first finding it. We are very close to plucking up the courage to build the new inner house ourselves instead of buying in a prebuilt and are going to be replacing the outer/main window wiring mesh this week if weather is not too bad. Wolfie sat by the open window for a little bit today (hence why we have wire over them!!) and purred at the smells of outside :). Chewbs was naughty as obvious every time the window boards get taken down. Chomped on the wire and had to be detached from it!! Pum went hyper at the smells of outside and ran into her bed to hide!. All are having Senior wet food 3 days a week alongside their dries now. Unless one is ill(er) and then they wait until all are okay :). Have found a new type of medicine which is easier to apply and more reliable for FHV-1 so will be buying this soon. Oh and we are looking into new ways of fundraising - Would any of you be interested in helping if it were simple enough? (A search or click online etc?)

  8. Pum learned a new trick

    Posted on

    today at pm feed and play the cats were all out playing but pum was oddly brave for herself. She learned to stand and "please" on back legs while being asked does she want a treat, and then not to smack or snatch for it but to "look see wait and have " by gently headbumping my hand.

    Wolf snatches it from us or pushes in to get things but pum encouraged and seemingly taught him how to do It too!

  9. Friday 3rd Jan 2014

    Posted on

    A brief account of today with the cats.

    Am: The cats all three came out for a run around and play when we got out to the cabin, they did the usual roles - by that I mean each doing their own usual acts.

    Chewie ran out of the house , onto the trolley and then launched at me on the sofa. Usually I am stood at the Diary unit (cupboard which the heater is on and which is tall enough for me to Comfortably stand up at and write my daily diary entries)Wolfie was not far behind her and hopped upon my leg. Pumpkin jumped out of the house , slipped effortlessly from the trolley and slunk around the corner of the sofa. They had a quick Walkabout and hug , or in pums case - a "you want to do WHAT with me?!'" and leggit!

    They all decided they wanted food so jumped over each other to be first to get back into the house.Wolfie did he usual and came back out a couple of times and hearded back. Food (meds) were given and typically he finished first.To stop him trying to eat the girls food he  comes back out while they finish eating.

    He often darts into his den cupboard to sit on top of Turti his turtle.But today he sat on the sofa with Johnny and nested on his legs.Chew finished her food and cried to come back out for hugs but the wind was getting up again by then and pum had already gone back to bed so we put wool back in and tucked the covers over the front of the house as normal to both keep them warm and to muffle the noises of outdoor for chewie.


    Tonight when we went out it was already very windy so we didn't want to risk problems , as chew gets panicky with the weather. So we didn't let them have a play firstly but fed them some strips of chicken (cooked by mum) in turn and then once things calmed a little let them play. Wolf and Chew spent ages licking the floor for scraps that may of been dropped (there was none) but it kept them entertained.

    They had dries then hugs on the sofa but gusts of wind kept shaking the wall so we put them to bed , I wrote the diary entries and then we came indoors.